SC - a person is chosen

Laura C Minnick lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Thu Aug 5 08:06:58 PDT 1999

Ana,

Re: veils of head gear-

Female followers of the Prophet don't necessarily all/always wear veils,
though the hair is nearly always covered. It depends on where and when you
are. If you are Andulasian? Well, I have pictures of Saracen women
musicians with their faces uncovered...

> My lady wife also rarely, if ever, wears a head or face covering, except
> occasionally in the hottest summers when she abandons her heavy
> Mongolian garb for the proper attire of a noble Roman matron. Not _too_
> matronly, though!

Adamantius is aptly demonstrating the breadth of SCA culture here- for
these are a couple of cultures wherein a bare head is acceptable (my
darling student is Roman, and has beautiful hair that only covered by the
helmet). When I started out, I was staunchly 12th c Norman, and for many
years there were folks in this Kingdom who did not believe that I had
hair- all they even saw was wimple and veils. Not it is layered
hair/net/veil arrangements and I am bareheaded only for as long as it
takes me to finish dressing. For me, making sure that my head is properly
covered is part of being 'dressed', and part of the experience...

Funny thing last weekend- three 15-year-olds, all with nearly- or
more-than waist-length hair, sitting in a row to comb it out- brunette,
redhead, and strawberry blonde. It was an amazing sight. Of course they
packed it away into braids (Rotrude is very proud of her Frankish braids),
which was good as it keeps their hair out of my food while they're
cooking, but it was fun to listen to the admirers.

'Lainie
- -
Laura C. Minnick
- -
'A Vaillans Coeurs Riens Impossible'
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731