SC - Local Girl Makes Good...

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Aug 5 19:53:12 PDT 1999

Hullo, the list!

I'm sitting here, minding my own business, reading Constance B. Hieatt's
'Of Pike (and Pork) Wallowing in Galentine', an article about, naturally
enough, galentine sauce and related matters, published in Prospect
Books' "Fish - Food From the Waters: Proceedings from the Oxford
Symposium on Food and Cookery, 1997"

Hieatt writes, in part:

"Recently, however, a fellow student of medieval recipes I have been
working with, Dr Terry Nutter, pointed out to me that among the numerous
English recipes for galentine - one of the most common of medieval sauce
recipes - there are a great many which could not possibly jell. Take,
for example, one from 'The Forme of Cury', an English collection
contemporary with Chaucer himself:

	" 'Take crusts of brede and grynde hem smale. Do (th)erto powder of
galyngale, of canel, of gyngyuer, and salt it; tempre it vp with
vyneger, and drawe it vp (th)urgh a straynour, & messe it forth.'

"Further, Dr Nutter, who did not start with any pre-conceived idea of
the nature of galentine sauce, was puzzled to find that the 23 recipes
she started with did not seem to have any ingredient at all in common.
None, she said: zero. So we may have to ask again just what galentine
sauce was - and what it meant to Chaucer."

Old timers on the SCA-Cooks list will, of course, remember Dr Terry
Nutter as Lady Katerine Rountre, currently living in, I think, Ansteorra.

Cool, huh?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy