SC - a person is chosen

Sat Aug 7 07:27:44 PDT 1999

> For a more extensive description of the North, still much farther east
> than
> you want, you might try Ibn Fadlan. The most accessible version is created
> by taking Michael Crighton's _Eaters of the Dead_ and removing all the
> parts that Crighton added. I'm not sure I spelled his name right.
>
> David/Cariadoc
> http://www.best.com/~ddfr/

It's spelled Crichton.

Ibn Fadlan's description of a Rus ship funeral appears in a new book called
Chronicles of the Barbarians.  Chronicles is a collection of excerpts from
writings about various "barbarian" peoples from 5th Century BCE through the
15th Century.  I got my copy by accident, but it looks like a nice starting
point for demonstrating historical research.

Bear