SC - On a Tangential, OT Note - Was: Potato salad+pasta sala

lilinah at grin.net lilinah at grin.net
Sat Aug 7 21:54:16 PDT 1999

Berengaria wrote:
> Anahita wrote:
>> I don't
>> know why people hate lima beans? Can this be explained?
>>
>They do not have a food like flavor or texture.  They're like eating
>alien spores.  No amount of butter could cover this deficiency.

Hmmm, alien spores... Recipe? Documentation?

>Now, spinach I *love*.  Sour cream and lemon slices?  That sounds most
>interesting...how was that prepared/presented?

Nothing fancy. It was the 1950's (shades of Dick and Jane and Spot and Puff
- - i was reading Agatha Christie by the age of 6, so i found those readers
really trying) and we lived in Illinois. I think my mom used frozen
spinach, but she tried not to cook it too long. She didn't buy bread made
of bleached flour either. Not that we ever ate whole wheat (until the late
'60's when i got into health food) - i don't think you could have found it
easily in the '50's. It was just made with unbleached flour. We ate
Pepperidge Farm bread for toast and sandwiches, not that they make it
anymore (that was before "Goldfish" and all those cookies), and
occasionally Jewish rye or what my mother called "egg bread" (actually
challah) from the local deli.

The spinach was still green and had some texture (unlike overcooked spinach
which is an icky olive green and mushy). We dished in into our bowls, put
on a dollop or three of sour cream, dashed on some salt, and a squeeze of
lemon juice, stirred it up and ate it. Voila!

Now i sometimes lightly pan fry (saute -- stir fry) my spinach with garlic,
but i still like to eat it with a dash of salt and a squeeze of lemon. I
save the sour cream for pirogis/peroshkis.

Anahita Munirah bint-Karim al-hakim al-Fassi