SC - choosing a Persona

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 11 20:05:49 PDT 1999

>I love the naming threads. I find it fascinating to see how people develop
>their
>personnas and names.

Bonne de Traquair is a woman of Scots-French ancestry from some point in
time after Jean II ("le Bon") of France and his wife Bonne of Luxembourg soI
can document the first name from there through the Duke de Berry's
granddaughter. Traquair is a neat word that is the name of a castle
belonging to the Stuarts,still does in fact, though the remaining Stuarts
are descended from non-Royal cousins. The Scots and French now and again got
together against the English, and Isabel of Scotland (sister of James II)
was married to the Duke of (Burgandy?) so interaction and intermarriage of
the noble families is also documentable. that's probably as firm as my
persona will ever be.

The first event I trotted it out, the weather was really hot and my then
13.5 year old was being a real trial and lady Jocetta pointed out that I was
a "hot, cross, Bonne".  Scots tend to pronounce it "bonnie", which is fine.
A woman in the area who knows Old French pronounces it extremely nasally,
and others attempting to copy her pronounce it bun--with a southern drawl.
Oh well.

My not-my-daughter 15 yr old is Cecily of Elmstead Market.  Cecily because
she liked it, Elmstead Market because she's been there and knew it was old
enough (Near Colchester, Wivenhoe, & Alresford in Essex, my husband's home.)

My not-my-daughter almost 13 year old is Bronwyn (becuase it's her real best
friend's name) of Ruthan, a town she saw on a map of Wales at the Herald's
table.

My not-my-husband is currently trying on the name Gregory, after playing
very occaisionally for a few years and using his confimation name of
Frances.  (though really, everyone calls him Tony.)

I say not-my-daughter and not-my-husband because our personas are not
connected.  I like having an unmarried, childless persona ;-)  !

bonne