SC - early Irish -- doc.

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Aug 15 12:02:19 PDT 1999

Gerekr at aol.com wrote:

> And yes, Gerek and I have finally remembered that British Isles "salmon"
> is not even the same family (I think) as Pacific NorthWet salmon, but oh
> well!  (too late for this year, I'm pretty sure)  What they call salmon
> in Scotland and Ireland is more like what we'd call fresh-water trout?
> Yes, no, sideways, somebody??  If so maybe we can get a step closer next
> year, 8-).

There are seven species of salmon, of which one is native to the
Atlantic and six Pacific. In Ireland and Scotland (not to mention
Brittany, Wales, Cornwall and the Isle of Man ;  )...) the Atlantic
Salmon is what we're talking about. They're fairly closely related to
Pacific salmon, though, all being in the same family or order (I forget
which), along with char, which are really trout, and trout proper.

On the other hand, if we're trying to bounce particular types of salmon
from the appelation, might I suggest that Pacific salmon are really some
kinda char? I think the Atlantic species has at least seniority in the
use of the word "salmon", as, by the way, does striped bass, walleye
(yellow pike) and shad ;  ).

Seriously, though, very very very very very few people can distinguish
Atlantic salmon from the Pacific species when smoked, especially since
now some of the smoked salmon imported from Scotland and Ireland is
actually Pacific. In my opinion simply knowing the difference and making
the distinction in your head is sufficient without getting hold of
Atlantic salmon for your use at three times the price.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com