SC - Food Help!!!!

Leslie Lansdowne lalliepop at netzero.net
Sun Aug 15 22:22:40 PDT 1999

> Leslie Lansdowne wrote:
> >
> > Help!
> <snip>
> > pancetta!  I need this for another recipe, too and I can't find
> it anywhere!
> > I understand that this is an Italian bacon that is cured rather than
> > smoked---but me being a rather novice when it comes to food, I
> really don't
> > know what an acceptable substitition would be.  How about
> prosciutto?  or
> > regular bacon???  or a cured ham?  does it matter and will it
> majorly affect
> > the taste of the food???
>
> Adamantius wrote:
> <snip>
> I'd suggest either using fatty portions of prosciutto (along the edges
> of slices, etc, estimating about 30% fat) or perhaps if you can find
> real salt pork, instead of the lumps of pickled fat they now sell under
> that name, that might do.
>
> If you do end up going with a smoked pork product, you might try
> shredded fatty portions of Virginia Ham. Some markets, particularly
> Asian ones, sell them in small portions, for shredding into soups
> and such.
>
> Adamantius
> --
> Phil & Susan Troy

Well, I ended up using regular bacon.  Since this was my first time making
this, I figured I'd just make it with what I had and continue looking for
pancetta or whatever else I could use for the next time.  Now, I have no
idea how it would taste with pancetta, but it was damn good without it!
Even my kids who don't like spaghetti sauce loved this ragu!  It took 5
hours from start to finish to make this and the wait was definitley worth
it!  I made some french bread to go with it and it was a delightful meal,
although the kids would have preferred everything seperate instead of in the
pastry!  What do they know!!!
For the long wait, I made a potato and leek soup that also called for
pancetta---I used bacon for that, too.  It was pretty good, although I'm
sure the pancetta would have added a better flavor even though I love bacon,
leeks and potatoes!

I'm not going to eat for a year now!  thanks for the Adamantius!  If I can't
find any pancetta around here I'll try the salt pork.

Leslie;-)