SC - "Chocolate in a Period Form"

ana l. valdes agora at algonet.se
Mon Aug 16 23:35:50 PDT 1999

Choocolate in form of beans come to Europe 1511, when Hernan Cortes
found it in Mexixo. Xcolatl, the orgininal nahuatl word, was used for
the emperor Moctezuma as a ceremonial drink when he visited his wives,
selon Cortes chronists. But the aztecs used the cacaobeans as coins.
Xcolatl come to Spain and some monks tried to make it sweeter (the cacao
beans are bitter) with the addition of sugar.
And "our" chocolate was born. The use was introduced to England during
the reign of Elisabeth, who loved it. Further to France and Italy. The
Spanish ladies who lived in "Outremer", Lima, Peru or Mexico, became
such a addicts to the drink than they asked their bishops about an
exception to being allowed to drink it in Lent.
In some mexicans food the cacao beans were added for their special
flavour, as in the case of the "mole poblano", invented by some nuns in
Puebla in the 1tth century, as some erudite gentleman posted to the list
when we discussed mexican period food.

Ana

"Michael F. Gunter" skrev:

> Hi all,
>
> There is a tournament in the Outlands I was contemplating of attending
> with
> a couple of friends so I perused the on-line event announcement. It
> sounds
> like a pretty enjoyable time but there is one part that bothered me.
>
> "For our non-fighters, a chocolate tasting will be held to determine the
>
> best use of chocolate in a period form."
>
> I know we've discussed this before but, other than a couple of the
> Spanish hot drink recipes we've found, I can't think of chocolate
> "in a period form".
>
> My apologies to the Stewards of this event but I just had to laugh.
>
> Yers,
>
> Gunthar

- --
http://www.algonet.se/~agora  Hemsida och skyltfönster