SC - gyngerbrede help

Catherine Hartley caitlin_ennis at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 17 07:27:36 PDT 1999

Aside from using non-proceesed flour breadcrumbs, your recipe doesn't
indicate whether you boiled the honey. Most recipes that I found to make the
period gyngerbread required the honey to be heated...I can't remember how
long.  This changes the sugar chemically and allows the stuff to harden
after you press it in the pan or roll it into balls. The consistency is more
like candy.

If the weather is really humid, the gyngerbread will be rather sticky. I can
post the original recipes when I get back to my sources (at home).

I recently made a giant nef out of gyngerbrede for a feast I cooked; by the
end of the evening (in humid Atlanta weather), the ends of the boat were
drooping....

Caitlin of Enniskillen