SC - "Chocolate in a Period Form"

UnruhBays, Melanie A UnruhBays.Melanie.A at tci.com
Tue Aug 17 07:33:35 PDT 1999

<snip>
>I know its hard for us to accept , but for some
> people, making food medieval is not one of their priorities :)...

However, for some of us in the Outlands, *eating* period feasts *is* a
priority. We do seem to be the vast minority, but I think the numbers are
growing. I, for one, have decided to avoid feasts which are not at least
plausibly period. Although I adore mashed potatoes, and love barbeque (I'm
originally from the KC area - it's in the water), and I'll eat almost
anything under a tomato, I find plenty of opportunities to indulge those
cravings the other six days of the week. I love the atmosphere of feasts,
but I am giving that up on principle, and this is a difficult decision for
me.
And as for the "they really want good food" people: I can attest that the
period food I have cooked has been well-received by even the most
red-necked, testosterone-laden, helmet-headed heavy fighters. As a matter of
fact, at one notable luncheon which included some of those, if I hadn't
cooked enough for double the expected guests there wouldn't have been enough
left for the staff to eat lunch.
I, too am embarrassed. More so, since it's my home kingdom. But I was also
embarrassed at the feast where we had rosemary new potatoes (which were
absolutely yummy, but...), and the one with zucchini and green beans,
because the *Crown* was there. (If you don't care to do it right for the
rest of us, at least do it right for those who are the centerpiece of our
experience.) There are so many other sumptuous foods that there's no real
point to serving non-period or -peri-oid foods.
I could live the rest of my life without chocolate, but my lord husband
would have little to live for without it. He's perfectly happy to live a day
or a weekend without it. So I know it *can* be done.

> >> "For our non-fighters, a chocolate tasting will be held to
> determine the
> >>
> >> best use of chocolate in a period form."

Maredudd
(those of you who know me will know the color of my face right now...)