SC - A Dilemma on what to cook for Dinner-HELP!

Lady Elisabeth of Pendarvis pndarvis at execpc.com
Wed Aug 18 09:03:23 PDT 1999

> Gee, how long have you all been a household?

9 years.  And it's funny, I have been a member for almost 7 years (a
vegetarian for 14 yrs), there are 5 of us who cook on a regular basis, and
one other lady is really good at  providing veggie alternative, and except
for the one other lady( a founding member), all the other 3 have been in our
household considerably LESS (1 1/2 yrs to 3years respectively)than I have.
I have about 20-30 people that I cook for on a regular basis, and every
single one of them knows I don't care if they eat meat, I can't.  But in the
last 2 years, since taking up the "medieval food is GOOD" crusade, they have
come a long way.  More of them sit medieval feasts rather than a non period
feast, and several have even done their very first feast with at least an
attempt at period or peri-oid, and with someone willing to cook WITH me,
it's a step in the right direction. So my solution for some time has been to
try to be the cook as much as possible, then myself and my other half are
ALWAYS covered.  I think I finally just hit my frustration point with dual
cooking, but it was nice to get support from fellow cuisiniers! (BTW: thank
you all-got a couple of great ideas, and an idea brewing in my brain to have
a "lenten meal" for a group from the house)

 How tough a concept is
> "no meat" (although there are the lacto-ovo variations)?
I fall under lacto ovo, which is even easier!  I can eat eggs and dairy, but
not when ham or bacon is mixed in with them . . .the funny  part is at least
the people who "forget" i can't eat something are the first to defend me
against someone who does the "what, are you one of those animal rights
freaks who tell me I can't wear leather or eat meat blah blah blah fill in
the blank blah blah blah. . ".

 I don't
> really know how to cook for a vegetarian either, but I'd make some
> attempt to find out what is and isn't acceptable, and some attempt to
> satisfy.  I'd have taken you up on those lessons!

One of the things I taught my sister, who lived with me after she finished
her college, was "think of something you want to cook.  Now, think of what
goes into it that has an animal product, like meat or dairy or eggs or even
lard/grease.  Now think of what would be a good, tasty replacement."  She
learned how to make great veggie tacos, lasagna, etc.  great cause her
current boyfriend is a demi vegetarian, eats fish occasionally.  But my
house is always open if you wanna spend a weekend cooking vegetarian.

(although, now that I think about it, wasn't it dangerous to be an avowed
vegetarian in some
> times and places in period?  You aren't one of those heretical Cathars,
> are you? :-) )

I don't know what a heretical Cathars was, can someone clue me in? Also,
when was it considered dangerous to be a veggie?  I just remember veggie
options surfacing like for lent, or because of a clerical vow . .someone
wanna fill me in, or give me some reference books?  love to come up with
some excuses!