SC - Ras' Testicles

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Aug 23 20:09:25 PDT 1999

In a message dated 8/23/99 9:35:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
phlip at morganco.net writes:

<< Ras' testicles, >>

Well, you will have to admit that my testicles were the best testicles you
have ever eaten. Each person at the SCA-Cooks Gathering who had the pleasure
of eating my testicles would agree with me. My only regret is that I didn't
peel off the sac after I had parboiled my testicles. Had that been done, my
testicles would have been fit for a King. :-(

I prepared my testicles using a recipe randomly selected from Cariadoc's
Collection of Medieval and Renaissance Cookbooks. The recipe was called 'Deer
Testicles in a Hunter's Sauce.'

Ras

Having found the recipe, I thought that it would be a perfect time to try the
substitution process so widely touted on this list. I only decided to do this
because the main ingredient substituted (e.g., lamb's testicles) was very
similar to the original ingredient (e.g., deer's testicles).

The Hunter's Sauce mentioned in the recipe was surprisingly 'Camaline Sauce'
(sp.?) which was expertly prepared by my student and friend, Elysant. I
prepared the main ingredients and finalized the preparation of the dish. The
result was an absolutely delicious dish which would have been fit to serve to
the King had I removed the membrane surrounding my testicles after parboiling
them.

Unfortunately both Elysant and myself were working from period sources and
did not have time to write down our redaction.  When I get another set of
testicles, I will be more careful to document the work.

Ras