SC - OT -bellpepper baking

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Aug 24 05:50:24 PDT 1999

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir wrote:

> Adamantius wrote:
>
> >Hence lefse from
> >lavosh and kaldomar from dolmades.
> >
> >Not necessarily water-tight, but interesting.
>
> Yes. The kåldolmar story I can believe (not the story about that Swedish
> prince, but that they are related to dolmades) but lefse derives from hleifr
> (loaf) and similar soft flatbread, wrapped around butter, is known from
> medieval times.
>
> Nanna

All right, I'll run with that. The hleifr connection exists in English,
too, with the Anglo-Saxon word hlaef being thought to be the source not
only of "loaf", but also of lady (contracted from words meaning
"loaf-maker") and lord (contracted from words denoting "loaf-giver").
Yes, once again, an example of the ladies doing all the work. (Care to
comment on _that_ one, Bear ;  ) ?)

On the other hand, "lavosh" may be from a connected Indo-European
cognate. The consonants in that order (or at least markedly similar
ones) denoting flatbread so far away sounds unlikely as a coincidence.
Had lefse been a Finnish creation, I might agree there's no connection,
since the Finns don't seem to follow an Indo-European languistic
tradition. None of which really places all that much credulity in the
Swedish prince story (Charles XII, BTW, ~1709 C.E.), of course.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com