SC - Lefse/hleifr

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Tue Aug 24 13:37:03 PDT 1999

- -----Original Message-----
From: Alderton, Philippa <phlip at morganco.net>
To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG <sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG>
Date: 24. ágúst 1999 13:34
Subject: SC - Lefse/hleifr

>Nanna skrev:
>
>>but lefse derives from hleifr (loaf) and similar soft flatbread, wrapped
>around butter, is known from medieval times.
>
>Interesting- can you give me references/period recipes on the breads, and
>particularly any references to the wrapping of the butter? I had thought
>butter was used as a medicine and a cooking ingredient, rather than as a
>condiment. Back to the cheap and filling foods for feasts, maybe?

Did I open a can of worms here by mentioning bread and butter? The reference
that springs to mind is in the saga of King Hakon the Old (not sure of the
correct name in English). I don´t have it at hand but am on my way to the
library just now and will try to look it up. This is also discussed in a
book on Icelandic Viking age food I have that I happened to leave at work
today - I´ll check it tomorrow.

No recipes, though - the only old Scandinavian bread recipe I can recall is
from a Danish cookbook printed in 1616.

Nanna