SC - fancy feasts vs. simple feasts

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Aug 25 00:15:46 PDT 1999

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> > TerryD at Health.State.OK.US writes:
> > << Back to the cheap and filling foods for feasts, maybe? >>
>
> And Ras replies in part:
> > Hopefully not. The feasts we seek to recreate are for the most part fine
> > dining at it's best. Years of work has been done to educate the typical SCA
> > person regarding actual period feasts. The documentation of cheap and filling
> > food does not necessarily mean that those foods were ever served at feasts.
>
> I disagree here. Just as we often practice various arts that the peasants
> and middle class would have done and not the nobility, I feel there is no
> reason that we should limit our SCA "feasts" to those of the nobility.
> In fact, many of our events and sites lend them much better to simpler
> repasts.

Ok guys- time out!

	I would really like to see more of us look into alternative methods of
accomplishing our goals. Example- I know that in the past Cariadoc has
personally sponsored feasts. I autocratted- twice- an event at which
there was a noble who sponsored the feast for the tournament entrants. I
have frequently had dinners in my camp, and a couple of years ago I put
on a very formal dinner for six (including a king and queen). Each and
any of these are things that happened in period- eating wasn't
restricted to sitting in a hall with 200 other people eating
mass-produced frumenty... with smaller formats, you can do menu things
that you can't with 200, you can do the flashy stuff and everyone can
see, AND you can refine your skills and then go cook for that
Coronation!
	I admire those who are brave enough to cook for the masses- and I
applaud the well-done feasts that I have eaten. I don't do the big
stuff- but I think the little stuff is just as important and
accomplishes the purposes of re-creating the Middle Ages...

gotta check the blackberry pies in the oven...

'Lainie