"Interpretation" (Re: SC - What's a "redaction?")

cclark at vicon.net cclark at vicon.net
Fri Aug 27 14:47:24 PDT 1999

Bonne wrote:
> ... Interpreting and adapting what is sometimes too freely done by those
>who feel the need to drastically alter the recipe for whatever reason. ...

I don't know that "interpretation" is such a misleading word. One of the
most commonly known meanings of "interpret" is to translate orally from one
language to another. Practically nobody who has to communicate through an
interpreter wants any changes to the meaning, whether deliberate or
accidental. Another meaning that pertains more directly to our purposes is
the performance of a written work such as a script, poem, or song. Again,
the interpretive artist is supposed to perform the work as written, unless
they are working in a style (such as jazz or early music) in which
improvisation or personal adaptation is expected. And when they do depart
from the text or score it's called creativity, not interpretation.

Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon