SC - uses for leftover almond crumbs?

cclark at vicon.net cclark at vicon.net
Sat Aug 28 22:28:25 PDT 1999

Lord Stefan li Rous wrote:
>You mentioned leftover walnuts and it made me think of the leftover almond
>crumbs left from making almond milk. I'm thinking of the stuff that is
>strained out of the almond milk solution after your mix the ground almonds
>in the water or broth. The liquid becomes the almond milk, but what do most
>folks do with the almond crumbs or mash? I think there are some period recipes
>that use this mash. Can this be used for marchepane? ...

I would guess that they might have been considered waste products unsuitable
for further use in feast cookery. Or they might have been used in marchpane.
They might have been used for cheap filler in some less glamorous food. But
this is just speculation.

What I do with them is cookies. A bunch of leftover ground almonds, some
butter, some sugar, optional eggs, a little spice and salt, perhaps a few
drops of almond extract and/or vanilla, and flour. They can have some
chopped nuts added, or pecan halves on top.

Thanks for reminding me; I've still got some sitting in the freezer.

Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon