SC - Anthro and cooking

James F. Johnson seumas at mind.net
Sun Aug 29 01:25:08 PDT 1999

Varju at aol.com wrote:

> Well. . .blini is usually translated as pancakes, but they aren't really
> they're more like crepes, sorta. . .well blini are blini and are good with
> sour cream and a bit of caviar.    :->

Yeah, the PI from Ohio made the occassional joke by goodnaturedly but
sarcastically 'pretending' the blini were flapjacks with butter and
maple syrup. The translator eventually asked me if their food was as bad
as the PI made it out to be. Ironic behavior from someone with an Anthro
doctorate.

Perhaps specific to Siberia, but our blini were universally served
folded into quarters, with smetna (sour cream) and occasinally
raspberries (in season). One way of eating them was to pick up the
folded blini and dip it into the smetna.

Now here's a (somewhat modern) food related item. Vodka was usually
consumed with caviar, pickles, or any pickled food item. Sometimes bread
as well. The pickle solution is supposed to help ward off the following
hangover, and drinking pickle solution is a morning after cure.

One other food related cultural item: Russians do not generally eat
oats. Oats are considered horse food. Standard breakfast is boiled
buckwheat groats (kasha) with a little salt. I _still_ eat the stuff. 0

Seumas

- --
James F. Johnson
seumas at mind.net