SC - haggis

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Sat Aug 28 23:58:16 PDT 1999

Stefan writes >> It seems to incorporate a wide variety of
what I was beginning think of as different types of haggis.<<

I recall seeing some period drawings of cooks working over huge
cauldrons, which seem to contain a number of different items.  Dorothy
Hartly describes the technique of cooking multiple items in one pot,
which seems to have gone on into her lifetime, in some parts of England.

Perhaps our various haggis -es [haggii?] are, originally, simply
combinations than can be easily cooked in this most convenient
container--an animal's stomach.  It later becomes Robert Burns' version.

Regards,

Allison
allilyn at juno.com, Barony Marche of the Debatable Lands, Pittsburgh, PA
Kingdom of Aethelmearc