SC - Dulce de leche

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Sun Aug 29 20:19:33 PDT 1999

On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 11:56:19 -0400 Caitlin Cheannlaidir
<caitlin at phosphor-ink.com> writes:
> For dulce de leche, the following was recommended...
> >I've been doing this for years, but dont use a pressure cooker.
> Just a LARGE pot of simmering water. Place a towel on the bottom of the
pot. Put your cans of SWEETENED condensed milk on the towel. Fill the pot
with water. Bring to a simmer and simmer for as long as you have
> patience. I've done it as short as two hours, or as long as 16.
>
> Just as an aside, and what was probably obvious to everyone else...
> when you open it, let it cool first... and don't stand in line with the

> hole.  I  got boiling-hot dulce (still liquid, it was only cooking for
two
> hours at  that point) all over the floor.... it threw a stream five
feet long
> when I pierced the lid.
> --Caitlin Cheannlaidir

	I must have missed the first part of this conversation.  It sounds the
world like you are describing boiling Sweetened Condensed Milk to make
what my mother called Depression Caramel.  I believe the original recipie
was on the can from Borden (not by that name, though).  My folks have a
story of their first apartment in the fall of 1947, and they were making
Depression Caramel.  They went into the other room and left it, boiling
the pot dry of water.  The can exploded, and caramel went everywhere.
When they moved out at the end of the next year, they were still finding
bits of caramel behind draperies and the like.
	So, dulce de leche = sweet of milk?  Where does that come from?

	Trying to catch up,
	Christianna