SC - Polish wafer recipe (long)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Aug 30 05:01:23 PDT 1999

Tollhase1 at aol.com wrote:

> I am having a hard time picturing the iron.  Is it similar to the campfire
> iron things that hamburgers or sealed sandwiches are sometimes cooked in only
> smaller?  And where could you find such a thing?
>
> Frederich

Fairly similar, except not as deep, so your wafer is much thinner than a
grilled cheese sandwich, and with a pattern it stamps into the surface
of the wafer.

Like the grilling iron you mention, it has two plates hinged together on
one edge, with a steel rod sticking out of each plate opposite the
hinge, and a wooden handle on each rod. You can lay it flat on the
burners of your stove, or hold it over a flame, and pour/spoon a
somewhat thick batter (thin ones are too messy; they squirt out around
the edges) onto your hot, greased/seasoned irons, close the irons and
hold the handles together, rather like a nut cracker. Somewhere along
the line you can flip the iron over to brown the other side of your wafer.

Various European import stores are good places to find suitable irons,
sold as krumkake or pizelle irons. If all else fails there's always
Williams-Sonoma, but I wouldn't go there first.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com