cassia buds; was SC - questions: TO BOIL PHEASANTS

David Dendy ddendy at silk.net
Tue Aug 31 00:06:40 PDT 1999

Re cassia Buds:

>Would you use them whole, or grind them?
>
>Eleanor d'Aubrecicourt

Either, I suspect, depending on the context. Some of the spice mixtures that
call for them seem most likely to have been ground, but they may also have
been used whole. In modern times they are used whole in pickling solutions,
and also, I believe, in some sausages. Incidentally, although not
documentalble, ASFAIK, they also make a very pleasant and less overpowering
substitute for cloves in cloved fruit (some of the more amorous locals in my
area swear they'll never use cloves again).

Francesco Sirene