SC - Tatar herbs from Poland

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Tue Aug 31 01:47:36 PDT 1999

Francesco Sirene wrote:

>Just one further question. . . . Is there any further reference in the book
>to the use of sweet flag? I know it was widely used in perfumery, and also
>has been (and I believe still is) used in the Middle East in confectionery
>(the candied root was used as an aphrodisiac). I am wondering if the Poles
>imported it for use in perfumes, in medicine, or in food.

Tom Stobart says, in Herbs, Spices and Flavourings, that "All parts of this
plant are sweet and aromatic and the roots were at one time candied to make
a strongly pungent sweetmeat in both England and America. It is used as a
flavouring, particularly in liqueurs. The very young leaf buds can also be
eaten as a salad. Older rhizomes are often fibrous."

Nanna