SC - SPICES

David Dendy ddendy at silk.net
Tue Aug 31 17:23:01 PDT 1999

>cclark at vicon.net wrote:
>
>>Whose recipes? Where does one look them up? What are the ingredients?
>

>That would be the recipes in The Medieval Kitchen by Redon, Sabban and
>Serventi, I guess. There are recipes for specie fine, specie dolce and
>specie negre e forte.
>
>Nanna

Quite correct, Nanna, although I suppose that I can actually pat myself on
the back that I dug the recipes up about ten years ago from the 14th century
Italian cookery book which Redon et al also use as a source, and translated
them myself (rather interesting, for one whose Italian is distinctly
limited). Even more confident-building is that my translations agree with
the ones by Redon et al, who actually know the language. <G>
(I do use proper "folium indicum" (malabathrum) leaves, though, rather than
bay leaves.)

Francesco
David Dendy / ddendy at silk.net
partner in Francesco Sirene, Spicer / sirene at silk.net