SC - Recipe databases

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Aug 31 18:41:57 PDT 1999

In a message dated 8/31/99 8:40:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
phlip at morganco.net writes:

<< That way, all we'd have to do is convert from ml to fluid oz and g to Wt
oz.

 Any one else care to speak? >>

Since most Americans use American measures then American it should be with an
option to use British. Also the standard format for recipes should be used.
This weight thing has gotten all blown out of proportion, IMO, and is really
only necessary for baking. Changing the entire recipe format to weights would
make the database completely useless to me and probably most others on the
List. Scaling up recipes has been discussed before and the reasons why so
many have problems with it. If an eight of a tsp. is multiplied by 24, you
get 1 tblsp, NOT a half an ounce. Dry is dry and liquid is liquid. Mixing the
2 causes the failures. If the program does a straight conversion then there
will be no problems. If a person insists on converting 1 tbspn dry to a half
ounce liquid then there will be problems.

My 2 dinars.

Ras