SC - Fw: [Mid] Last Post : Knowne Worlde Potters Meeting

Timothy a Whitcomb freyja1 at juno.com
Mon Aug 2 03:08:09 PDT 1999

>Since we are concerned with cooking, and we usually are interested in
>putting our food on something besides the floor, I thought I'd forward
>this
>along to the List. In the meantime, Hroar, why don't you quit lurking
>and
>introduce yourself? There's no question in my mind that everyone here
>will
>like you as much as I do.
>

>Phlip

  Okay...8-)...delurking..

  Greetings! I am Hroar Stormgengr, potter and lurker. I am really not a
cook, not to the extent you all are. But there are some things I would
like to learn. I make pottery of a useful and Period nature, and am
concentrating for the time on English cook ware (as well as the jugs,
mugs and other such things). This includes such things as frying pans,
pipkins, general cook pots and the like.

  I am getting a handle on how such things were used, their special needs
(since they are not metal) during cooking and such, What i need to learn
now is what was cooked in them. More specifically, I want to know what
the common man regularly ate in the 13th to 14th century in England. some
of my pottery books make brief referance to the analysis of matter found
within pottery vessels, and seem to suggest a relatively high calory
diet, (around 1800 calories a day, or so they say) but this tells me
nothing of just what was eaten.

   All this leads to helping me create as Period an experience as
possible. Since English potters were not of noble birth, I am really not
looking to or expecting elaborate food..or is this wrong?

  If any one can point me to appropriate books, i would be very grateful!

Hroar