SC - Peasant cookery

Timothy a Whitcomb freyja1 at juno.com
Mon Aug 2 07:33:47 PDT 1999

On Mon, 2 Aug 1999 09:18:28 EDT LrdRas at aol.com writes:
>In a message dated 8/2/99 6:14:20 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>freyja1 at juno.com
>writes:
>
><< All this leads to helping me create as Period an experience as
> possible. Since English potters were not of noble birth, I am really
>not
> looking to or expecting elaborate food..or is this wrong? >>
>
>Yes, and no. Iron and copper kettles were used extensively for boiling
>and
>other such things.

[An interesting side point is the appearance, in illuminations , of these
kettles with clay vessels resting within the boiling water.
protects the food from metal contamination, I suppose..]

 Pottery would, SFAIK, been more used in hearth side

>cookery.

[And this is what i am expecting (and interested in..)...I need the food
aspect, the pottry is covered..]

 One of the problems I foresee in trying to produce pottery
>cooking
>pots for the peasant class would be the fact that, at least in the
>cities,
>there were laws that forbid personal kitchens in many times and
>places. Food
>was brought to the local ovens and cooked or bought already prepared.
>I would
>suggest looking for casserole or other type pottery cooking vessels as
>these
>would have been more common for the class you seek to re-create.

[This is an interesting point..and there are considerable casserole type
wares, with outh the lids.  Quite a few pots have been found with the
firemarkes from cooking over coals, and I have obtained the same
phenomena with ware i have kept for my own use.
  What i really need is to get an idea of what was eatten, to round out
the experience. The pottery was the easy part.]

>As for myself, I am not a peasant persona and would most welcome those
>items
>that were used by noble households (e. g Middle Eastern/Andalusian
>would be
>ideal for me). I find that locating kitchen reproductions used in
>noble
>households is the most difficult task.
>
>Just a thought or 2.

[And I appreciate that..]