SC - Requested recipe for Cabbage with leeks and Bacon

pat fee lcatherinemc at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 2 08:54:19 PDT 1999

  Here is the recipe for Cabbage with leeks and baccon.  I'm sorry it took
so long, but I have been investigating the preservation of my family's
recipe book.

                   Cabbage with leeks and Bacon

  1 head cabbage(green or red your choice) core removed and sliced 1/2 to 1
inch thick

4 slices of good Bacon the book calls for "side" meat, chopped and cooked
slowly until the bits are crisp and there is a pool of Bacon fat in the
bottom of your pot.

4 or more good big leeks sliced, white and 1/2 inch of the green. I suppose
you could use onion for this if you wish.  Use a good big one.

Layer the leeks and cabbage in the pot on top of the Bacon bits and fat
until it reaches an inch or so below the top, or until you run out of
ingredients.

Pour 1 1/2 cups of liquid. water works, but ale or beer is better over the
cabbage ect.  Cover tightly, place over heat source and let gently steam for
about 20 minutes.  Uncover and stir well.

Serve

Lady Katherine McGuire