SC - candied spices and other stuff

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Aug 2 18:25:20 PDT 1999

H B wrote:

> According to _The Medieval Kitchen: Recipes from France and Italy_
> (Odile Redon et al., Univ of Chicago Press 1998, ISBN 0-226-70684-2),
> the closing of a meal with "epices de chambre" (parlor spices) or
> "confetti" (same thing in Italy) was common, a regular part of any
> feast.  They specifically mention candied coriander and ginger root.
> They also say that from records it appears that these were generally
> purchased already candied from the spice merchants, and so recipies
> weren't included in collections.  So for France and Italy at least,
> 12-13-14th c., some candied spices are documented (I don't know which
> of their extensive list of primary sources).

Candied spices, under the name dragees and confits, are mentioned
frequently in the 14th-century English recipes from the manuscript
sources compiled for Curye On Inglysch, as well as Le Menagier de Paris
(14th century French) and Chiquart's Du Fait de Cuisine (15th century
Savoyard/French). Harleian Ms. 2378 (15th century, also found in Curye
On Inglysch under "Goud Kokery") includes a confit (candied seed, not
all confits are the same) recipe which I think I have somewhere on disk.
If I can find it I'll post it later.

Then, of course, there's a recipe in Sir Hugh Plat's "Delightes for
Ladies" (pub. 1609 CE), which is quite long but is a little easier to
understand than the one in Harl. 2378.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy