SC - On a Tangential, OT Note - Was: Potato salad+pasta salad- the mildOregon version - OOP

Melcnewton melcnewton at pcis.net
Wed Aug 4 18:34:21 PDT 1999

- -----Original Message-----
From: Bonne of Traquair <oftraquair at hotmail.com>
To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG <sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG>
Date: Wednesday, August 04, 1999 3:59 PM
Subject: Re: SC - On a Tangential, OT Note - Was: Potato salad+pasta salad-
the mildOregon version - OOP

>>Would anyone like to explain their take on the use of the word "goulash"
>>in re American cooking as a >
>In my family goulash is corn and lima beans.  Actually, we called it
"Indian
>Goulash".  I can certainly see that combination as being vaguely native
>american.   (My Mom is mid-western, my dad Southern.)

huh? I've always thought that corn and lima beans was Succatash (sp?) with
the hamburger/tomato sauce/mac pasta being the goulash. Then again, we could
always start with the "hot dish", that is, peas and canned tuna and cream of
mushrooms soup, ect. cooked into a cassarole.

Beatrix of Tanet
Oakheartian for the moment, but a Iowan at the end of the month (got a job
with the USDA as a food inspector in Postville, Iowa.)