SC - wedding menu help (florilegium)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Aug 4 22:33:15 PDT 1999

Helen suggested some items for wedding buffet that Kat is doing. For those who
might be interested in some more info on some of these items, I thought I'd
mention some of the Florilegium files that go with these suggestions:
> I love quinces and they are considered a "lucky thing" for weddings to insure
> happiness. Even if just decorations.

fruit-quinces-msg (26K)  4/ 9/99    Period uses and recipes for quinces.

> Candied almonds represent the bitter and sweet of married life.

nuts-msg          (60K)  4/ 2/99    Nuts, acorns, nut flours in medieval foods.
candy-msg        (127K) 12/11/98    Period candy. Recipes. Candied fruit peels.
Candying-art       (9K)  6/29/99    Period and modern descriptions of the
                                       candying process by Alys Katharine.

> Suggest rose petal jam between the cake layers for the wedding cake.  Suggest
> decorating it with marzipan fruits.

cook-flowers-msg  (47K)  2/ 9/98    Cooking with flowers. Medieval flower dishes

> The stuffed egg recipe that they had on the list last month would be good finger
> food.

eggs-msg         (107K)  7/26/99    Egg storage. Recipes. Substitutions.

> Every one (all my wedding was non SCA types) loved the frumenty and that was
> cheap and easily made in 3 large crockpots.

frumenty-msg      (48K)  4/ 7/99    A period cooked grain dish, often barley.

> I mixed my salsify with carrots and served them boiled and buttered.  It would
> look nice in a warming dish. It was pretty too.

vegetables-msg   (164K)  3/17/99    Period vegetables. Recipes.
   (I think I put the info on salsify here. If not, then I'd check the
      salads-msg file.)

> Helen

I hope this is useful.
     Stefan