SC - a person is chosen

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Aug 5 06:49:32 PDT 1999

"Ana L. Valdés" wrote:

> That is because I have chosen now (not the name, I still wonder) to be
> an Andalusian female poet, with aquitances in Byzanthium and Jerusalem.
> She is studying the northern culture in Stockholm. I have in my shelves
> many books written by andalusian women poets, the generic name is "Divan
> de Al-Andalus".

My most heartfelt congratulations to you, lady, on this Blessed Event.
It is now traditional to distribute cigars with the words, "It's a
girl!" written on the wrappers... ;  )

In re your decision on veils: while this might have had some interesting
ramifications in period, the least of which might be general
impropriety, I wouldn't worry about it in an SCA setting. It would be as
improper to judge a lady based on whether she wears a veil as it would
be not to wear a veil. Much more so, in fact. We're a pretty relaxed
bunch, normally.

BTW, if you're interested in documenting men wearing hosen in Northern
(and Norse!) lands, check out Greenland in the (I think) 14th century. I
have a coat I cook in at events that's based on a Greenland gown, which
I wear with hose, not that any of this is in keeping with my persona in
any case (the Greenland gown was just a good design that could be
co-opted to behave, functionally, like a chef's coat). If anyone happens
to see a fairly large (and currently bearded) fellow in a cream-colored
Greenland gown and hose, holding a large, sharp knife, and it turns out
to be me, you're certainly welcome to _try_ to cast aspersions on my
masculinity ;  ). Hey, I'll even put the knife down!

My lady wife also rarely, if ever, wears a head or face covering, except
occasionally in the hottest summers when she abandons her heavy
Mongolian garb for the proper attire of a noble Roman matron. Not _too_
matronly, though!

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy