SC - choosing a Persona

Richard Phillips PRIDEelectrc at centuryinter.net
Thu Aug 5 08:04:50 PDT 1999

I agree with both comments:  When I first started playing people seemed to be
picking names that were in SCI-FI stuff (which I have never read) and/or picking
names which no one could spell or pronounce.  I would meet someone and they would
tell me their name is:  dsafjlk  sadld jdslaureoi jkln (example only).  Then when I
would call them by their name they would never answer to it.  I would have to use
their "real" name to get their attention.  I also noticed people picking a name
(like the above typed letters) and get very offended (hurt, disappointed, etc.)
when the Herald could not pronounce their name "correctly".  To solve this problem,
I use my "real" name:  Rayne (MKA: Raine) Moyra (My Irish G-G-G-G Grandmother),
O'Ciaragain (mundane spelling of Kerrigan).  This way I never forget it or how to
spell it or what it means to me.

My mundane children on the other hand were different:  My daughter Kristel Rhys
O'Ciaragain (MKA: Crystal) and Jason Throckmorton O'Cairagain (MKA: Jason)
understood their names while babies, but when they both reached pre-teens they
wanted to change it.  Kristel became Amethyst Starr and when Jason joined a Viking
household they started calling him Siber.  So he became Siber Throckmorton
O'Ciaragain.  Kristel is now a mother herself and she cannot document "Amethyst
Starr", so she is in the process of "finding herself" a new name.  Siber was
"adopted" by other Vikings and hooked their names onto his. [Why I don't know and
don't really care  :-)  ]  and is now Siber Throckmorton O'Ciaragain Skoal
Skalligrissom (last name probably spelt wrong).  All through Middle school and High
school because there were so many Jasons in his classes his teachers called him
Siber and his transcripts have his full real name on them and in quotes "Siber".

So pick a name you like.  It doesn't have to be written in stone.  But go at it
slowly...'cause once your friends know it,  it can be hard to get them to change
it.  :-) without having to remind them constantly.

Rayne      (who isn't sure what her own daughter's name is)