SC - re: digest 1530

grasse at mscd.edu grasse at mscd.edu
Fri Aug 6 08:13:18 PDT 1999

Greetings Thomas, Nana, Ras, and all the remaining Cooks-listers;

In regards to the below referenced recipe:

I am assuming it is in 1300's Dutch?  Because with my German I can actually
get about 3/4 of it (and I am sooooo thrilled!!!) (Thanks for all the
practice with Rumpolt T.G.!)

As for what is easier, translating or redacting... I think they are about
equal, what is hard it trying to learn what they really meant  - like
'Speck' nowadays is what I would interpret as streaky bacon... is it what
was meant by that term in 1300's???

I can translitterate a fair piece, and can translate it into English
(though am still working out the bugs in that) and I can redact a tasty
dish...
(to see the Rumpolt pages at:  http://clem.mscd.edu/~grasse/Welcome.html
Click to get to the table of contents, then have fun exploring)

But how close to what they had am I really?

I will be webbing  an additional  beef dish by next week (it came out kinda
Sauerbraten/Szechuan, but very tasty) and I have a beef tounge in the
freezer that I will experiement with soon...
I started transcribing the pork section last night, so I plan to play with
some prok stuff soon (only I can't seem to buy pork-innards (liver, stomach,
 nothing, even the specialty butchers can't seem to get me any... Ostrich -
no problem, but pork-guts No can do :-(  so I have to stick with the meat
recipes for now.

Gwen Cat
Caerthe (who also won't be going to war, but will have to battle the weeds
in the garden if she wants to have any Kohlrabi this wet, cold summer)