SC - Icelandic chicken and variants

Tim & Dee timdee at sgi.net
Fri Aug 6 13:28:14 PDT 1999

> > He will want to check with local game officials first.  There is an
> > international Migratory Bird Treaty that has serious penalties for
> > interfering with migratory birds.  <SNIP>

> No kidding!  Here in PA, a family was going to be fined $500 (I think)
> for actually eating the wild turkey that had the bad timing to fly into
> their patio door and break its neck OUT of turkey season.  Apparently,
> they should have turned over the already-dead bird to the game
> commission (who, presumably, would NOT eat it themselves?).  Charges
> were dropped when the press made much of this idiocy.

I would expect that if something like this happens, all you would have to do
is call the game commision and tell them what happened and that you want to
use the meat of the bird.   I do know that is all you have to do for deer
and they will instruct you as to what to do with the head/etc. and they will
send you a "permit" allowing you to keep the deer for meat.  We did it last
year and the year before with deer that were hit by cars.

> Another question, though: does the migratory bird thingie apply to
> resident non-migrating populations of Canada Geese?  We have plenty of
> those running around -- I think we ought to be able to trap them like
> any other semi-domesticated semi-urban nusance species.  I'd even apply
> this to the deer that leave the over-populated state park in winter to
> kill the new trees/shrubs in my yard.  Note, though, couldn't shoot
> them here in the suburbs -- that would be reckless as well as illegal.

Your best bet on this is to call and talk to the Game Commission, they maybe
able to enlighten you on the "unknown" laws of the non-migrating populations
of migrating birds.

Dierdre