Harpestraeng (was: SC - re: digest 1530)

Thomas Gloning Thomas.Gloning at germanistik.uni-giessen.de
Fri Aug 6 14:25:05 PDT 1999

Hello Gwen Cat,

<<< In regards to the below referenced recipe:
I am assuming it is in 1300's Dutch?  Because with my German I can
actually get about 3/4 of it (and I am sooooo thrilled!!!) >>>

The recipe I quoted from the (edition of) manuscript W is in Middle Low
German from the 15th century. Low German was the own language of the
northern parts of Germany up to the 16th/17th centuries, and is now only
used in dialects. I am very glad you can understand most of it. The
Danish version from manuscript K and the Icelandic version from
manuscript D was posted by Nanna before.

According to the passages from Grewe's article, posted by Adamantius a
while ago, there are four extant manuscripts going back (somehow) to the
Harpestraeng-collection:
- -- Codex K (Copenhagen): the manuscript dated c. 1300; Language: Danish;
edited by Molbech 1826 and by Kristensen.
- -- Codex Q (Copenhagen): the manuscript dated 14th century; Language:
Danish; edited by Molbech in 1844 and by Kristensen.
- -- Codex D (Dublin): dated last quarter of the 15th century; Language:
Icelandic; is said to stem from Codex K through a Norwegian
intermediary; edited by Henning Larsen 1931.
- -- Codex W (Wolfenbuettel): dated 15th century; Language: Middle Low
German; edited by Hans Wiswe in 1956 with a "Nachlese" (additions and
corrections) in 1958.

I am very much looking forward to see the original versions of old
cooking recipes to come, from Harpestraeng to Rumpolt and Anna Wecker.

Cheers,
Thomas
(Here is the recipe from Codex W again just in case somebody doesn't
remember what we are speaking about here:
"66. Item me schal over eyn hon mydden entweysniden unde maken van
mele unde van water twe vladen unde sniden darin speck unde do:en dartho
gantze salvienblade unde peper. Salte thomathe. Unde bewerke dat in den
vladen. Unde late id backen like eyne brade. Dyt [dy_Hs.] sind
posteidenhoner.")