SC - Dulce de leche

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Sat Aug 7 11:47:41 PDT 1999

hi all from Anne-Marie

re: dolche de leche....
Tyrca sez:
>> Interesting to see an actual recipe.  When I was in Brasil, this
>> of course was a favorite of almost everyone, but since the
>> invention of canned sweetened condensed milk, it is almost never
>> done that way.  Now they drop the unlabelled can into the
>> pressure cooker of beans and then open the doce de leche
>> (porteguese spelling) after it has cooled completely.  My
>> favorite way of eating them is squeezed into freshly fried
>> Churros!  Heavenly!  If only I could find them here (sigh).

I've been doing this for years, but dont use a pressure cooker. Just a
LARGE pot of simmering water. Place a towel on the bottom of the pot. PUt
your cans of SWEETENED condensed milk on the towel. Fill the pot with
water. Bring to a simmer and simmer for as long as you have patience. I've
done it as short as two hours, or as long as 16. The longer you cook it,
the darker and more intense the flavor of the product. The lable of the can
specifically says NOT to do what I do. I figure its ok as long as the pot
doesnt boil dry. Physics says that an object suspended in boiling water
wont get above boiling temperature itself, and the temperatures they use in
the canning process are much higher. As long as the can is "suspended", ie
insulated from the hot pot bottom, and surrounded on all sides by water, my
little science brain says it should be ok. Still, I never do it when Im not
home, and never leave it unattended.

We eat it on apples, or strawberries (yum!) or like the argentines I know,
on slabs of fresh baked bread. We can even find dolche de leche ice cream
in our local markets (Haagen daaz makes it). The stuff should have the
consistency of peanut butter.

ah....would that it were medieval....but the stuff is still the food of the
gods, and I've seen grown adults eat so much they became physically ill.

- --AM, who for 12th night gave some friends  cans of dolche de leche and a
couple perfect granny smith apples all for their very own.