SC - Cooking by "hand"

redbear redbear at hollinet.com
Tue Aug 10 00:20:20 PDT 1999

I frequently cook without measurements - I love medieval recipes for this
reason - I translate and follow, experimenting as I go, not deviating from
the "recipe" but plying with amounts. I never have a modern measured recipe
as an end result. I can't bake that way, however - although my grandmother
can. She can go to someone's house, have a completely unfamiliar dish, and
recreate it the next day. She's an awesome pastry cook as well as being good
at everything else.  When my mother was just married, Grandma taught her a
few Yugoslavian dishes - and Mom kept excusing herself to go to the
restroom, only to run upstairs and write everything down! Oh yes - and guess
at the measurements.  My mother taught me to cook strictly by the recipe - I
don't know why I evolved this way.

Branwen