SC - Cooking by "hand"

UnruhBays, Melanie A UnruhBays.Melanie.A at tci.com
Tue Aug 10 11:24:40 PDT 1999

I have always tried to make the documentation better than the product. I
think it shows that no matter my skill level with the product, I have shown
a thorough understanding of the issues surrounding the item. Not that skill
*doesn't* count, but as a person born in the 1960s, I don't have first-hand
knowledge of what the food really tasted like. My crustade of tame creatures
may taste awful to me, but be right on as to what would taste right to
someone living in the 15th cent. The cooking we're doing today is inherently
tailored to modern tastes, whether we think we're doing it or not.
The important part of the entry is that the recipe I've used is from a
reliable primary source, that I know how to produce an edible product from
the recipe, that I know and understand the humors of the ingredients, that
period eggs were likely smaller than modern eggs, and that they probably
used pigeon in the thing, but I didn't.
It seems that I've gotten a lot of funny looks when I say that the
documentation should be better than the product. Thank you. It's nice to
know that I'm not *totally* off my rocker. Well, not about this, anyway...

Maredudd

<snip>