SC - Severely off topic .... Personna help

James F. Johnson seumas at mind.net
Wed Aug 11 06:06:52 PDT 1999

Decker, Terry D. wrote:

> I think you may find Bosc has the meaning of "thicket", also spelled
> bosquet.  It appears to be related to the Spanish "bosque" which is where I
> encountered the word.  According to the quick ref, the word is a diminutive
> of "bosco" or forest of  Germanic origin.

The relation to the Spanish is probable, as the town of Bosc (west of
Foix) and the Chateau du Bosc (ca 1120 CE, in Naucelle) are both in the
Pyrennes region of France.

One thing I haven't tracked down and confirmed yet was the suggestion
the Bosc pear was developed in Belgium, not France, so it is worth
looking there for a location by that name.

Seumas
- --
James F. Johnson
seumas at mind.net