SC - Heresey about the Rock!!!!

Wed Aug 11 13:23:56 PDT 1999

> > > << Here ya go... "Capsicum peppers have been a
> > major agricultural product
> > >  in the Mediterranean Valley since 1553." Or
> > something like that. Signed
> > >  by Ras, or would be if he were here and if I have
> > the date correct... >>
> > >
> > > Kosonom szepien, Master A!
>
> I could be wrong but I thought that that "fact" came
> from "The Food Chronology", which is full of
> inaccuracies.
>
> Huette

I don't believe that "fact" is from The Food Chronology.  I'll have to
check.  Trager does say that the Ottoman Turks planted capsicum peppers in
Buda in 1529.  He does not specify whether they were planted as ornamentals
or as food and nothing about the size of the area planted.

Since Columbus found capsicum peppers in 1492, the 1529 date is possible but
questionable.  Of course, the same entry for Columbus has him finding Musa
paradisiaca, the plantain, a fruit unknown in the Old World.  Unfortunately,
M. paradisiaca is native to Southeast Asia and is known to have been in
cultivation for over 4000 years.  It is mentioned in Pliny and the Quran.

Bear