SC - Mystery Recipes

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at home.com
Thu Aug 12 15:21:39 PDT 1999

At 01:20 PM 8/12/99 -0800, you wrote:
>The recent postings on family cookbooks prompted me to pull the notebook
>my aunt put together with family recipes shortly before my grandmother
>passed away.  One of the sections we have called "Mysteries" since the
>recipe cards in Grandma's box only had a list of ingredients, no name,
>no directions.  Since most everyone is away at war, I thought I'd post
>these and see if the illustrious members of this group have any
>thoughts.
>
>Mystery #1
>2 c. flour
>1 t. soda
>1 t. salt
>1/2 c. shortening
>1 c. sugar
>2 eggs
>1 orange rind
>1 c. raisins

At first eyeball this looks like a scone type recipe. The 1 t. of soda with
just the orange rind for acid makes me curious though.  It sounds quite
delicious.

>Mystery #2
>
>1 c. milk
>1/4 c. sugar
>1/2 c. shortening
>1/4 c. warm watter
>1 pkg. dry yeast
>2 slightly beaten eggs
>3 1/2 to 4 c. flour
>2 c. rolled oats
>butter
>1 1/2 t. poppy seed
>Scald milk, stir in sugar, salt shortening.  Dissolve yeast in water,
>add luke warm milk mixture.  Beat in eggs & 1 c. flour, oats and enough
>flour to make soft dough.

Oatmeal bread with poppy seeds? There's not enough seeds to use as a
filling, so maybe its just a garnish on the top. There's also not quite
enough sugar to make it a 'sweet' bread.  I wonder if this bread would be
stiff enough to braid, then sprinkle the poppy seeds over. Hmmm.
>Lady Clare Elena
>Principality of Oertha

Yours in Service,
Maggie MacD.