SC - Dinner last night

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Aug 16 10:48:38 PDT 1999

> > Well it was quite a bit of food for 8 - 10 people. Let's see it was 4 pounds of
> > lobster, 3 pounds of salmon, 2 pounds of scallops, 2 pounds of shrimp, 2 pounds
> > of steak, plus rice, peas, bread, rich sauces, asparagus, half a watermelon and
> > two good sized merengue pies.
>
> Was the lobster live and in the shell, or lobster meat?

It was live lobster but really came to around 6 pounds live weight and we had around

2 1/2 pounds of meat. That was the main reason we went with lobster salad.

> Another consideration was weight loss during cooking

> Most of this stuff, with the possible

> exception of the steak, which would depend on the state of doneness,

> among other things, loses almost half its mass in cooking, trimming, etc.

There wasn't much loss for the rest of the stuff. The shrimp shrunk a bit but
we still had four two foot long skewers packed. The salmon lost very little
weight. There also didn't seem to be an appreciable weight loss with the
scallops.
One of the reasons that it fed so many people was because the food was
very rich. There were no complaints of being underfed.

> Adamantius, thinking about another bouilliabaise party

I'm looking to do something fun with the stock I made from the shrimp
and lobster.

Yers,

Gunthar