SC - ginger

Kerri Canepa kerric at pobox.alaska.net
Mon Aug 16 18:58:48 PDT 1999

Adamantius then wrote:

>No, I believe it. I don't have the room for big boxes of wine myself,
>but considering that in France and various other places you can buy a
>carton of wine very much like the paper cartons of milk, in the markets,
>it may be that some Americans have adopted a sort of
>nouveau-sophisticate snobbery about such things.

Believe it or don't; I witnessed with my own eyes women in a grocery store in
Florence, Italy filling their shopping carts with liter boxes of tavolo vino
(which were brought in on shrink wrapped pallets!). Considering that the wine
was less than a buck a box, I can only imagine the quality of said wine. I'm
guessing that this was for everyday drinking with meals as the Italians are
rather moderate people (meaning, they're not into the happy hour or drinks after
work sort of thing).

On the other hand, good wine was easy to come by and not very costly. Go figure.

Kerri
Cedrin Etainnighean, OL