SC - "Chocolate in a Period Form"

UnruhBays, Melanie A UnruhBays.Melanie.A at tci.com
Tue Aug 17 07:53:26 PDT 1999

<snip>
> Here in the East it very occasionally turns up in published
> Royal whims,
> which will provide a dispensation that it is period for the
> duration of
> the given reign.

Which I do not perceive as being nearly as offensive as trying to use the
existing sources to justify chocolate in "period" foods. Trying to *make* it
period, even though the scholarship on the issue clearly does not support
it, is being less than honest with your sources. Indeed, there is no source
that supports the *way* we eat chocolate being remotely close to the way it
was consumed in period. It's no wonder that the academic community sniffs at
SCA research.
I agree with Bere - let's put in real period chocolate for the contest. It
wouldn't win, but maybe it'd give people something to think about. :-}
Maredudd