SC - A Dilemma on what to cook for Dinner-HELP!

Lady Elisabeth of Pendarvis pndarvis at execpc.com
Tue Aug 17 13:36:42 PDT 1999

> > I know you said they are your household, but given their persistent
> > forgetfulness, perhaps you should find someone else to work out
> a meal plan
> > with. You and your spouse are getting a bad deal, chipping in
> to feed the
> > group, but still having to feed yourselves.
> Bonne is right, of course. I wasn't addressing the political aspects of
> the situation, just presenting a relatively expedient solution. To look
> at this from another angle, when others cook for the same large
> household/group, how do _they_ accomodate the two vegetarians?

Well, they don't. I have heard everything from "You eat chicken don't you?"
to "But it's just got bacon mixed in" to "i don't know how to cook for a
vegetarian"(to which I offered cooking lessons).
So I went through everyone's responses, and here is what I decided: I called
a new member of our house, my good friend Marie, who is going with me for
her first pennsic.  I told her of my frustrations (bitch session),and she
concurs, I am the cook, my choice.  She also then offered an alternative
solution as well-she wants to learn more about medieval cooking and cooking
in general.  So when I am cooking for the house, she will automatically cook
with me, and will handle doing a  meat dish while I get to do everything
else, which means everything else can be vegetarian! But she still learns
how to be a better cook.
I had Marie decided what kind of meat (she chose chicken) and we're gonna
rummage through the cookbooks tonight for a nice beginner's medieval recipe
(I am thinking of starting with Cindy's book "Take a 1000 eggs" because of
the nice translations) and some good veggie dishes to go with it. I might
even toss an ember day tart in tonight and take that along as well-I will
let everyone know how it reheats on the grill . . .but thank you for the
support! It's off to Pennsic I go.

Lady Elisabeth of Pendarvis
Barony of Caer Anterth Mawr
Principality of Northshield