SC - Shrewsbury Cakes

Sheina Yeheskal sheina at barak-online.net
Tue Aug 17 20:32:55 PDT 1999

Hi!

I would suspect that your problem is that this looks like the kind of
recipe you really can't measure the water for.
The same is true for pie crust, which I imagine this is susposed to be more
like than what we have today.  The humidity in the air can have a lot to do
with how much water you need to add, as well as how cold it is and how cold
the water is.  I would stay away from the egg, and if it still doesn't look
right try starting with flour, suger, nutmeg - add the oil - and then the
water just as you would for a pie crust.

Incedently I have had things made with rosewater and the flavor is even
more delicate than vanilla.  What you might try is just a little orange
juice (or vinilla) in a glass of water, not streight.

Good luck.  Let me know how it works out

Sheina