SC - FW: Fields of Gold information

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Aug 18 18:26:30 PDT 1999

Mary_HallSheahan at ademco.com wrote:

> Okay so chocolate is being treated whisically by the autocrats because they
> love it.  So you local food-history buffs do the same with what YOU
> love--make it seriously but do the PRESENTATION whimsically.
>
> Brew up your cacao-water in its bitter intensity--and have fun with the
> presentation.  Perhaps down on one knee offering this new delicacy to your
> significant other, or the crown, or the autocrat.  Present it by
> proclaiming whatever good was really said about it before 1600.  (I have no
> idea but I'll guess--reputed to be an aphrodisiac or a stimulant perhaps??)
>
> After all, the Spanish have a romantic reputation that could certainly be
> translated as "decadent".  And they're the only ones who had it!

I agree with this approach, especially since most of the chocolate
creations I've seen in 17 years in the SCA have relied more on certain
sensory triggers than on genuine quality. Essentially, I suspect that
people will try to win this thing by throwing together as many elements
having little or nothing to do with chocolate as possible, as with the
Chocolate Raspberry Cordial Mint Cream Meridies Mudpie example.

If, for example, I were to take real cacao beans and make my best
approximation of a Hershey Bar, and title my entry "Chocolate", do you
think it would win? Similarly, would a perfectly executed silver cup of
Spanish chocolate, with similarly perfect documentation as a period
artifact, just sitting on a table with a little card?

At the risk of getting into trouble here, I suggest _one possible_
solution, if not necessarily the best, would be perfect chocolatl,
perfectly documented, served to the judges by a seemingly brainless but
stunning server of whichever gender seems most appropriate. Aztec
chocolatl, perfectly documented, as served by Lady Pamela Anderson of
the Lea (or whoever; in my case it might be Lady Veronica of the Lake,
acquired via time travel. YMMV.).

I mean, if they're gonna insult our intelligence, isn't turnabout fair
play?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy