SC - Berries

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Sun Aug 22 15:51:43 PDT 1999

Bear wrote:

>Rhubarb (Rhuem rhubarbarum, et al.) was known in Antiquity.  The word
>rhubarbe was first used in English about 1390.

But was it used as food? Every source I´ve consulted says the roots were
valued for their medical uses, and the stalks maybe used for making rhubarb
syrup, again for medical uses, but the stalks weren´t used as food until
much later - not until about 1800 in England, even later in some other
countries.

Nanna