SC - Lefse/hleifr

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Tue Aug 24 10:46:15 PDT 1999

Ras mistakes me for Bear by quoting:

>In a message dated 8/24/99 10:34:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
TerryD at Health.State.OK.US writes:

<< Back to the cheap and filling foods for feasts, maybe? >> <

Then responding:

>Hopefully not. The feasts we seek to recreate are for the most part fine
dining at it's best. Years of work has been done to educate the typical SCA
person regarding actual period feasts. The documentation of cheap and
filling
food does not necessarily mean that those foods were ever served at feasts.

IMO, I hope such documentation either does not exist or else clearly
indicates that they were not meant to be used in situations of ceremony,
festival or fine dining. The corpus of recipes we have to work from were
clearly used for such occasions and the presence of cheap and filling at
such
a meal is neither appropriate nor is it indicated in the extant cookery
manuals we have access to. <

I fully appreciate your position Ras, and I agree, for the most part, but
one of the things we are dealing with in The Current Middle Ages is weaning
modern people away from modern stand-by garbage and turning them onto good
foods, of Medieval origins. Myself, I am perfectly happy with a few small
bites of something I thoroughly enjoy, as opposed to mass quantities of
pasta and tomato sauce ick. But just as we need to provide a wide variety of
foods in a feast, not serving every dish with, say walnuts, mushrooms, or
meat in it, for those who are allergic or whatever, we also need to have
cheap and easy stuff food for those who think of nothing more than filling
their bellies. Perhaps we can educate them, but I think we need to educate
them gently.

Look at the Wendy's commercials, where Dave is served three curls of carrot
and a veal patty in artisticly draped sauce, then goes into how at Wendy's
you get more bite for your buck. A hungry fighter type, who has just come in
from the field ain't gonna be happy if that's all he gets for his feast
ticket (back me on this, those of you who fight), but will be perfectly
happy if he has something to stuff in his gut until he's full enough to
appreciate the finer things of culinary life.

We need to consider budget as well as desired recipes. If we want to provide
the exquisite for those who can appreciate it, we also need to provide the
inexpensive bulk for those who feel they need it. I'm really not into trying
to fill up the starving hordes on, say, the 1 oz of caviar my budget migh
allow me.

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio